Deflying Fitness is a fitness training company based around the foundations needed to become a circus performer. Not only are these programs beneficial for circus performers, but they also happen to be great for dancers, yoga enthusiasts, crossfitters, athletes, and anyone looking for a fun and exciting new way to fine-tune their overall strength, flexibility and fitness.
Founded by Andralyn Zayn and Duane Steel–a married couple / circus partnership specializing in Icarian Games. Deflying Fitness offers fitness programs specifically designed to help develop the strength and flexibility required to perform the amazing feats featured in acrobatic circus performances.
Deflying Fitness offers a wide range of strength training, flexibility training and handstand training programs for all levels of ability. Clients can choose from online coaching, personal training, classes, workshops, and teacher trainer certifications.
Deflying Fitness Coaches
Andralyn is co-owner of Deflying Fitness and Deflying Feets (a toronto based circus company). She grew up as a competitive gymnast and found circus right after high school while pursuing stunts and acting. She has been performing for over 15 years in Icarian games, hand to hand, duo trapeze, solo trapeze, teeterboard, skyladder, and handbalancing. She studied at the National Institution of Circus Arts in Melbourne Australia. She continues to study multiple disciplines in San Francisco, Vancouver, Montreal, and Guadalajara. She has been teaching for over 20 years in gymnastics, rock climbing, circus, and fitness and loves seeing people achieve what they once thought was impossible.
In Melbourne, Australia September of 2007, Andralyn created a flexibility class geared towards increasing range of motion in people of all ages and abilities. Since then she has brought those classes to Vancouver, Montreal, and Toronto Canada, as well as Albany New York. She provides certifications to help up and coming teachers who already possess some knowledge and interest in the subject of flexibility the opportunity to learn how to teach these classes for themselves.
Since the founding of Deflying Fitness in August of 2013 there are now opportunities to learn how to bring all of circus basics to your teachings and practice. She has created certifications that are nationally recognized for Flexibility, Handstands, Aerial Strength, and Acrobatic Fitness.
- FMT Blades Advanced
- FMT Blades
- Adaptive Body Work Level 1
- Agatsu Kettlebell Level 1
- Ecole Leotard
- Poliquin Instant Muscle Strengthening Techniques (East Greenwich, RI)
- Personal training certification PICP Level 2 Practical (East Greenwich, RI)
- Personal training certification PICP Level 2 Technical
- Personal training certification PICP Level 2 Theory
- Personal training certification PICP Level 1 Practical (Toronto, ON)
- Personal training certification PICP Level 1 Technical
- Personal training certification PICP Level 1 Theory
- Mongolian contortion – studied at The Circus Centre (San Francisco)
- Chinese contortion – studied at National Institute of Circus Arts (Melbourne)
- Diploma of Circus Arts
- Level 1 Climbing Instructor Certification
- Fitness Theory and Weight Training Certification
- NCCP Level 2 Gymnastics Coaching Certification
- NCCP Level 1 Trampoline Coaching Certification
Duane is co-owner of Deflying Fitness and Deflying Feets (a toronto based circus company). He comes from a background in hockey and other team sports. After trying circus for the first time 9 years ago on his first date with his now wife he fell in love with both her and the circus. He has since been performing as an Icarian games base, hand to hand base, foot juggling, teeterboard pusher, and juggler.
He has been working as a professional circus base for 8 years. He brings his expertise of basing Icarian games, and Hand to Hand to the team at Deflying. He has also been studying foot juggling, and ball and club juggling. It is a great compliment to understanding how to base a human being.
He is also certified in all of the Deflying Fitness courses and has been assisting Andralyn since the opening of Deflying Fitness in 2013.
- Deflying Fitness Arobatics Level 1
- Deflying Fitness Handstands Level 1
- Deflying Fitness Flexiiblity Level 1
- Deflying Fitness Aerial Strength Level 1
- Ecole Leotard (Yury Bozyan, and Irina Bozyan)
- Flexibility Classes (Andralyn Zayn)
- Handstands Classes (Andralyn Zayn)
- The Underground Circus (Peter Boulanger and Ninon Parent)
- The Circus Center (Lu Yi)
- Circus West
Sara has been passionate about movement and challenging her abilities since a very young age. Personally, she has a varied background; from being a dancer, a high performance track athlete, to currently training as a circus artist. Throughout all those years, she has always worked hard, alongside some of the best coaches. Being surrounded by such knowledgeable, passionate leaders, she quickly realized it was time to become the same to others.
After graduating from l’Université de Moncton in 2011 with her bachelors in kinesiology, Sara jumped right into the career path of a personal trainer. She has a strong passion for working one on one with clients, helping them achieve their goals, and better yet, allowing them to realize much more than they ever thought possible. She loves working with all levels, from pure beginners to high performance athletes. However, her passion goes beyond what happens in the gym. With her clients, she encourages a great focus on lifestyle elements that will allow for a healthier, more balanced life.
Over the years, she has managed to keep growing as a trainer by taking many different courses, where she also developed a passion for Fascial Stretch Therapy. This table assisted stretching method provides a significant increase in range of motion along with reducing pain and scar tissue. Sara believes in this therapy to help clients find the freedom to move, in and out of the gym.
With a very well rounded, personalized approach, Sara is eager to support and guide others to their health and fitness goals!
- CSEP Certified Personal Trainer
- Fascial Stretch Therapy level 1 (Stretch to Win)
- 200 Hr YTT (Awakened Life School of Yoga)
- TRX Certified Instructor
- DTS level 1 Certification
- Deflying Fitness Flexibility Level 1
- Deflying Fitness Handstand Certification
- CPR Level C
This post is also available in: French